MARS History

In November 1925, the Army Amateur Radio System (AARS) was formed by a few dedicated pioneers in the United States Army Signal Corps.
This organization continued until the start of World War II when operations were suspended.  Army amateur radio was authorized to resume operations
in 1946 and the Army Amateur Radio System was reactivated and functioned as such until 1948 when the Army and Air Force established the
Military Amateur Radio System, later renamed the Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS).  In 1962, the Navy-Marine Corps MARS program was
launched making MARS a joint service program.